Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 15:41:32 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   VT100 emulation

  One of my users pointed this out to me today, and I'm wondering if
anyone else has experienced/fixed this:

The machine "shell" is running -stable, and the machine "terra" is
running Linux.  We're migrating all shell logins (and everything else)
to the FreeBSD machine, so getting this fixed would be a Very Good Thing. :)

I haven't checked to see if other terminal emulations do this.  Could
this be a 'feature' of the FreeBSD port of pico?

  -Dave Andersen

----- forwarded message from one of my users ------
I did a raw capture on the data coming down the line to my terminal. It
appears that shell is padding the positioning commands in the vt100
emulation with spaces, whereas the terminal emulation from terra is not.

In other words, the pico menu at the bottom of the screen on terra is
built simply by the appropriate ANSI command strings. There are no space
characters sent between the ^G in inverse video and the ^O. It only sends

the proper positioning commands.

shell, on the other hand, writes out the ^G, then sends a BUNCH of
spaces, then outputs the ANSI commands for the next menu item (^O), then
more spaces, etc. So, in essence, shell seems to be putting out two to
three times more data than terra to write the same screen.

Perhaps this is just the vt100 emulation?

----- end forwarded message ------

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)