Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2013 17:31:10 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Change in loader or kernel: won't boot with kfreebsd in grub2

Has there been a change in loader or kernel format recently?

Through FreeBSD 9.1 postrelease, I was able to boot with grub2 (Super Grub Disk) on the System Rescue CD (sysresccd.org) by

set root=(hd0,gpt3)
insmod ufs2
kfreebsd /boot/loader
boot

but that no longer works.

That was the method suggested in $PORTSDIR/sysutils/grub2/pkg-message

I just source-upgraded from 9.2-BETA2 to what is now called 9.2-PRERELEASE

uname -a shows

FreeBSD amelia2 9.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-PRERELEASE #17 r254196: Sun Aug 11 00:36:49 UTC 2013     root@amelia2:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SANDY  amd64

Fortunately, I also installed to a USB stick, GPT-partitioned with the first partition being freebsd-boot, so I boot with that, and to get the hard-drive installation, escape to loader prompt and type

set boot_askname

and then ufs:/dev/ada0p3

at the mountroot> prompt.

I want to use the hard drive for more than one OS: FreeBSD and Linux.

For forensic, testing purposes, I tested and was able to boot the old 9.0-BETA1 installation by

set root=(hd0,gpt9)
insmod ufs2
kfreebsd /boot/loader
boot

which is why I think there was possibly a change in loader or kernel format.

I was worried that my Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB hard drive was starting to go bad, but now it looks like maybe a change in FreeBSD loader or kernel format.

Tom