Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:09:23 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Alexander Rusinov <boot@eurocom.od.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PostgreSQL in FreeBSD jails

Alexander Rusinov <boot@eurocom.od.ua> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to run a number of PostgreSQL servers in different FreeBSD jails.
> I managed to run a first instance of PostgreSQL server in a jail, but
> after I launch a new server in another jail the first one starts to
> return an error messages like the following:
>
> semctl(1507328, 4, SETVAL, 0) failed: Invalid argument
>
> The problem in general is: only one instance of PostgreSQL server
> processes clients' connections, all of the others return semctl errors.

I had this exact same problem.  I never found a solution.  The cause
appears to be that, since shared memory is not segregated between jails,
the newly launched Postgres instances corrupt the shared memory of
previously running Postgres instances.

Supposedly, this shouldn't be possible, but it was happening and I never
found a solution.