Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:26:11 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscons extension: "propellers"

> I'm not yet 100% convinced that it would make sense to separate
> the propellers code into a module.  Is 5 Kbyte of kernel code
> really that much of a problem?  Please note that

I certainly wouldn't argue this based on size, no.  To understand the
point I was arguing, consider what would have been the case if the
very first screen saver had been hacked straight into syscons rather
than making it an optional component.  We'd probably have 2 or 3
screensavers at most now, each one being even more of a pain to write
than they are now since there was no standardized interface for
writing or loading screensavers (in fact, I'd have to say that our
existing interface is still pretty weak and should be something more
in AfterDark's class of abstraction if we're really seeking to do
things right, but I digress :).

So I see it with "propellers" - they're an optional feature component
and there should be a way of bolting such optional features into
syscons without having to recompile the kernel.  It's not a question
of size, it's a question of design and flexibility and I can argue
from such a purist's perspective because I'm not doing any of the work
involved and it's thus really easy to do so. :-)

- Jordan