Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 20:36:09 +0000
From:      "Ian Kallen" <ian@gamespot.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ep driver buggy?

I've had 3c509's give me no problems whatsoever on two machines I
have running freeBSD.  Just for kicks, I bought two SMC 10/100baseT
cards (the 9332, I think 'twas called) -- those cards were so buggy
under Windows95 I _hope_ they are the high performance n'er do quit
cards that I've heard that they are under freeBSD (I'm pretty sure
that Yahoo uses those for their freeBSD boxes) - anyway, they are
leaving their current Win95 hosts ASAP: on those machines at least,
they suck!  The 3c509, once plug n play is off, everything's great.
And 3com includes a DOS utility that is even useful, unlike SMC.

> Date:          Tue, 3 Sep 1996 19:06:01 -0700 (PDT)
> From:          Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
> To:            Garth Corral <garthc@compass-da.com>
> Cc:            FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
> Subject:       Re: ep driver buggy?

> On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Garth Corral wrote:
>
> > Found this while browsing the FreeBSD handbook at freebsd.org:
> >
> > [from section 5.3.8. Networking]
> >
> > device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 vector epintr
> >
> >             3Com 3C509 (buggy)
> >
> > What exactly does 'buggy' mean?  Is this up to date?
>
> The 3c509 driver has come on hard times recently.  It isn't very stable,
> main example being that the card will 'disappear' until it is disabled and
> re-enabled with 'ifconfig ed0 down' and 'ifconfig ed0 up'.
>
> The NE2000 code is still as solid as ever :-)

Ian Kallen                           ian@gamespot.com
     Director of Technology & Web Administration
            http://www.gamespot.com