Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:54:50 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <akl@klemm.apsfilter.org>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Restoring superblock backup?

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 02:28:00PM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
> I've successfully repaired a fs with the superblock backup at 32.  Now how
> do I copy that backup to the default superblock location?  fsck_ffs does
> NOT automatically do this.

It does. With fsck -b 32 you use the alternate super block to repair
the filesystem just in case the superblock in at the usual place is
damaged. After that the filesystem is completely repaired ...
Of course the previously damages superblock ...

fsck does the same things only that you choosed the first copy
of the superblock, that is always on block 32. The next copy
depends on the size and geometry of the filesystem and is not
so easy predictable like the "32" which is always present ....

--
Andreas Klemm                             /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
http://www.64bits.de                     <  Powered by FreeBSD  >