Date:      Sun, 08 Feb 2009 01:51:50 -0700
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        Albert.Shih@obspm.fr
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installkernel on small disk

Albert Shih wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've two servers (in fact guest in vmware) on don't have enought disk space
> to make buildkernel (or world).
>
> For the world freebsd-update can work. But for the kernel I've my own
> kernel.
>
> So if I compile the kernel on the other server how can I put it on the
> first ?
>
> Regards.

With an NFS mount, with sneakernet, or scp.
On the machine with enough disk space:
	make buildkernel installkernel DESTDIR=/nfsmount KERNCONF=otherkernel
#hackish and i'd be worried of this.  It will force a backup of the
running kernel to the remote /boot/kernel.old

I'd recommend:
	make buildkernel installkernel DESTDIR=/tmp KERNCONF=otherkernel
	tar -czf /tmp/otherkernel.tgz /tmp/boot/kernel
	# bring the otherkernel.tgz file to the machine, maybe by usb stick,
and extract.  don't forget to tar -xz*p*f  (permissions)

How thin on disk space are you?