Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 14:50:29 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, John Gregor <johng@vieo.com>, Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net, leifn@neland.dk, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, gjb@gbch.net
Subject:   Re: how to test out cron.c changes? (was: cvs commit: src/etc crontab)

Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> On Sat 2001-01-20 (16:39), Sergey Babkin wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I've committed these changes for cron to support DST change
> > to -current (see PR bin/24494 for description of my tests).
> > Everyone is welcome to test them out.
> > Please let me know if you encounter any problems caused by them
> > (and better do that before these changes would be MFCed to -stable
> > in a few weeks).
>
> I do believe this is premature.  There really should at least be an
> option for the old behaviour, and there is a good argument for making
> the new behaviour optional dependent on a variable with the old

Let me ask a simple question: Why ? What are the benefits of
preserving the old behavior ? As far as I've watched this thread
nobody had explained it. So could you please elaborate ?

On the other hand I clearly see the benefits of avoiding loss
or duplication of once-a-day (or even more rare) cron jobs.
If some job is scheduled once a day (or even once a week or
once a month) then it's probably a rather heavy job. So running
two of them at once is not a good thing even if they would not
mess up each other but just slow down the machine. Skipping
such a job seems to me as an almost equally bad thing.
(Yes, I'm speaking from my personal experience as sysadmin as well).

> behaviour default.  _Especially_ if you intend to MFC this, since
> changing this behaviour in a minor release, without a way to have the
> old behaviour, is almost certainly wrong.

That's why I asked for comments.

-SB