Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 16:21:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        behanna@zbzoom.net, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What NIC to choose ?

In article <local.mail.freebsd-stable/20011106145210.J30664-100000@topperwein.dyndns.org> you write:
>On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Bill Moran wrote:
>
>> Chris BeHanna wrote:

>> >     As I recall, there's a very weird and hard-to-replicate
>> > interaction problem between the fxp driver and vinum that leads to
>> > corrupted RAID-5 volumes.
>> >
>> >     Good enough reason for me not to spend the money on Intel NICs.
>>
>> Is this documented anywhere in more detail?  I have three servers
>> that I've installed and admin with Vinum + fxp driver and have had
>> no problems whatsoever.  None of these are running RAID-5, however,
>> so if the problem only occurs with RAID-5, I won't have seen it.
>
>    It's come up on this list a few times, when Greg Lehey has been
>trying to pull the necessary information out of someone to chase
>this bug down and squash it.  It only occurs with RAID-5 and fxp,
>apparently, and even then, not frequently or in any reproducible
>manner.

I quite fail to see why there would be any interaction between
vinum and fxp.  However, it is possible that the motherboard has
a problem with running various disk controllers and ethernet at
the same time.

Matt Dillon saw a problem on his Dell machines where running fxp + ahc
at the same time lead to panics; this was eventually traced to marginal,
heat sensitive hardware on the motherboard.

Perhaps this is the same issue here.
--
Jonathan