Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:35:16 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
To:        perl@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] perl symlinks in /usr/bin will be gone

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>> Anton Berezin wrote:
>>> In practical terms this will mean a one-time sweep of your scripts in
>>> order to convert them, in a typical case, from #! /usr/bin/perl to
>>> #! /usr/local/bin/perl.
>>
>> Wouldn't that break most of the 3rd party scripts out in the world?
>
> Well-behaved 3rd party scripts ought to start Perl via:
>
> #! /usr/bin/env perl
>
> ...so long as /usr/local/bin is in the $PATH, they should still work fine.

I commonly use this approach, but I run into some problems with flags.
Probably a simple gotcha someone can help with.

Eg the following useful constructs don't work:

#!/usr/bin/env perl -p
#!/usr/bin/env perl -T
#!/usr/bin/env perl -w

Andrew McNaughton

--

The United States is committed to the worldwide elimination of
torture and we are leading this fight by example."

Andrew McNaughton           http://www.scoop.co.nz/
andrew@scoop.co.nz          Mobile: +61 422 753 792