Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:34:20 -0800
From:      Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: em0 on install

>> trying to install using the 5.1-release mini cd and em0.  it seems not
>> to dhcp (looked with tcpdump) despite my saying Yes (and no to ipv6).
>> am i missing a clue?
> Not plugged in to a Cisco switch, are you?

gawd no!  you would even suggest such a thing in public?  sheesh! :-)

this is a thinkpad t40p.  4.9-release cdrom boots through to em0
media just fine, and i just retested that assertion without moving
any wires etc.

i tried booting wigh acpi off.  no change.

it stalls scanning for dhcp servers, which do exist, and then puts
up the NetworkConfiguration menu.  if i say no to dhcp and hand
configure, no packets leave the interface.

randy