Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 21:18:53 -0700
From:      Guy Harris <gharris@flashcom.net>
To:        Luke Roberts <luke@roberts.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ADSL

> However, unlike with most cable modems, that simply use TCP/IP over
> Ethernet, ADSL requires the PPtP package (sort of PPP over ethernet).

Whether it does depends on how your Internet service provider chooses to
offer ADSL; mine (Flashcom, in the USA) just, as far as I know, bridges
Ethernet over ATM, so I just configure (one of) the IP addresses for my
Ethernet interface to be the static IP address my ISP gave me, and
Internet access Just Works.

I think I'm in the minority there, however.