Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:28:20 +0000
From:      Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Accidentally truncated crontab

Hi all!

I just emptied the system crontab, and don't know how I can recover it.
I know that the contents are still somewhere on the drive, as I didn't write
anything on that partition.
The size of the file must be stored somewhere in the inode, or maybe in the
directory, so I could just load the raw partition into my hexeditor and
change that field to the original length. But I thought I'd better not touch
it without consulting the experts first, because I don't have much experience
with file systems.
In the ports I couldn't find an undelete utility, and the -w option to rm
doesn't work here.

Please help me, or at least tell me that there's nothing else I can do, so I
can use the method mentioned above.

Regards,
Daniela