Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:40:26 GMT
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-pf@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/102647: Using pf stateful rules for inet6 fails for	connections originating from the firewall itself to a service	running on thesame box

The following reply was made to PR kern/102647; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To: freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Cc: SUZUKI Shinsuke <suz@freebsd.org>,
 steinex@nognu.de,
 freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/102647: Using pf stateful rules for inet6 fails =?iso-8859-6?q?for=09connections_originating_from_the_firewall_itself_to_a?=
 =?iso-8859-6?q?_service=09running_on_thesame?= box
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:39:34 +0200

 --nextPart1732840.TuzD54aPQf

 SUZUKI-san,

 since you are looking at this already could I interest you in a related=20
 problem?

 On Wednesday 30 August 2006 03:13, SUZUKI Shinsuke wrote:
 > Hi,

 > > Thanks to Max Laier for examining this, I'll just paste him:
 > >
 > > Using pf stateful rules for inet6 fails for connections originating
 > > from the firewall itself to a service running on the same box.=20
 > > Culprit seems to be interface selection in inet6 (switching between
 > > the interface that has the address configured and lo0).
 > >
 > > tcpdump on pflog0 shows that the initial SYN is coming from bge0 (See=20
 > > below for ruleset used).  The reply then comes via lo0 and matches the=
 =20
 > > state (if state-policy is floating).  The third packet (again via=20
 > > bge0) then does no longer match the state - however:  =20
 > > >How-To-Repeat:
 > >
 > > Use this ruleset:
 > >
 > > pass quick on lo0 all
 > > pass quick on bge0 inet all
 > > block drop log all
 > > pass in log-all on bge0 inet6 proto tcp from any to 3000::1 port =3D
 > > ssh flags S/SA keep state
 > >
 > > Then try to open an inet6-connection to a service running on the
 > > firewall itself from the firewall itself.
 >
 > Could you please try the attached patch for kernel?
 >
 > Using this patch, PF regards the initial SYN (and the third packet) is
 > coming from lo0, instead of bge0.  (There was a similar bug-report
 > regarding PF for looped-back IPv6 packet, and this patch fixed the
 > problem)
 >
 > If it seems okay from the PF's point of view, I'll commit it to
 > -current.

 Your patch looks good for the problem reported, there is - however -=20
 another problem that maybe related.  The bottom line is that packets to=20
 or from local addresses never show up on bpf as they are not processed by=20
 lo0's input/output routines.  Do you have any idea how to address this?

 =2D-=20