Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2009 18:43:04 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        af300wsm@gmail.com
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What's the simplest way to get a fresh copy of the source code for the system

--i9LlY+UWpKt15+FH

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 01:15:16AM +0000, af300wsm@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> My churches web server is having problems compiling world for FreeBSD =20
> 7.0-p10 (I believe I just did the csup last night). It gets to this point=
 =20
> and then stops with this error:
>=20
> touch gtype-desc.h
> touch: No such file or directory

The file gtype-desc.h doesn't exist on my 7.1 system.
I think that this means that the 'touch' binary is missing. See below.

> A little history for what's going on; the server was not responding at al=
l =20
> so I took it home to diagnose (it was at a friends house, where it's =20
> hosted). I turned it on and it booted up ok for me, which was a little od=
d =20
> because he told me that it wasn't doing "anything." So, I began looking t=
he =20
> system over. Within 10 minutes the system became slow and was rather =20
> unresponsive to things. For example, saves while running vim took 20 =20
> seconds or so. Within a few minutes the kernel panicked and I had to rebo=
ot.
>=20
> Before the panic I noticed that there were some background file system =
=20
> checks going. So, since it was rebooting anyway I went into single user =
=20
> mode and performed fsck on all of the partitions (except the root, that w=
as =20
> marked as clean). There were many problems fixed especially on the /usr =
=20
> partition. I'm betting that this missing file, gtype-desc.h, happens to =
=20
> have been one of the many problems fixed.

Touch should never complain about missing files, because one of its
purposes is to create files that don't exist. So it is probably the
'touch' binary itself is missing. Try 'which touch'. It should report
'/usr/bin/touch'. If it doesn't, touch is MIA.

It might be saved in the lost+found directory of the partition that
holds /usr/bin.
=20
The easiest way to get it back is to just build touch. Or copy it from
the install/live-cd.

If your source tree really is corrupt, use csup(1) to update it.

Roland
--=20

--i9LlY+UWpKt15+FH

--i9LlY+UWpKt15+FH--