Date:      Mon, 01 Nov 1999 15:37:22 +0000
From:      Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hole(s) in default rc.firewall rules

sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> > By setting their source port to 53 or 123, an attacker can bypass your
> > firewall and connect to any UDP listener.
> >
> > I propose the following alternative:
> >
> >     # Block low port incoming UDP (and NFS) but allow replies for DNS,
> > NTP
> >     # and all other high ports. Allow outgoing UDP.
> >     $fwcmd add pass udp from any to ${ip} 123
> >     $fwcmd add deny udp from any to ${ip} 0-1023,1110,2049
> >     $fwcmd add pass udp from any to any
>
> If you block incoming UDP traffic with source port 53, you have very
> effectively blocked answers from all name servers outside your firewall.
> Is that what you want to do?

No, and it doesn't. I'm not blocking anything based on source port. I'm
blocking UDP traffic to any low port. DNS replies come in on high ports
(at least this is true on the half dozen or so boxes that I've
implemented this on, whether they are NAT/firewall boxes, or stand alone
PCs). NTP, on the other hand, comes in on 123, which is why I've
specifically allowed it.

cheers,
Adam
--
Adam Laurie                   Tel: +44 (181) 742 0755
A.L. Digital Ltd.             Fax: +44 (181) 742 5995