Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:49:27 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alex Bulygin <sysop@komanda.com.ua>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & MacOS

> For AppleTalk support under UNIX, have a look at netatalk.  It's
> in the FreeBSD ports collection (/usr/ports/net/netatalk).

Thanks, Ive downloaded it yet from 2.2.8-RELEASE /packages. So Im going to
install it and test soonly.

> While my Macintosh network support requirements aren't very
> demanding, netatalk has worked extremely well and I'm not aware
> of any adverse scaling properties.

At my office, etidors headquarters, Macs are used for publishing
production so performance level is vital. Every Quark file is about
2Mb without images and quality of protocol realization for I/O operation
on sever is crucial point.

> netatalk's services are transparent to Mac users, so it's a great
> deal easier to set up and administer than, for example, NetBIOS
> support for Macs (like Thursby Software Systems DAVE for WinNT).

 And what about TCP/IP for this deal? Will it be so transparent for
Mac users as netatalk?