Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2012 19:04:45 -0800
From:      Zach Leslie <xaque208@gmail.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org, grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD needs Git to ensure repo integrity [was: 2012 incident]

> There's a git repository. It's public. You can look at what goes into
> the FreeBSD git clone to get your assurance that things aren't being
> snuck in. People are using it, right now.

I've always been confused by this.  Which source repo is the true source
of truth?

To obtain the FreeBSD source, you can use CVS, SVN, or Git?  Do all have
the same level of support?  Are they all up to date?

> Honestly, I'd rather see subversion grow this kind of cryptographic
> signing of each commit in the short term then migrate everyone over to
> git.

How much effor would their really be involved, considering your link to
the FreeBSD source repo on github.  Converting the repos to me seems
like it would be the bulk of it, and that work is already done.  Help me
understand please.

Also, local branching and merging is amazing.

--
Zach