Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 10:12:50 -0800
From:      Dan Mahoney <dan@ns1.wolf.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Questions re. "wired" memory

When I run 'top' on my 3.0-SNAP-980825 machine I see that
of my 128 MB RAM I've got 16 M active, 22 M inactive,
20 M wired, 65M cache, 8M in buffer, and about a MB
free.  I've looked at the man page for top and seen
that "wired" means "number of pages wired down, including
cached file data pages".  Could someone explain what
this really means, or where I can find out what it means?
FWIW, I'm running this machine as a web server (Apache
1.3.2).

Dan Mahoney
dan@wolf.com