Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 15:54:27 +0100
From:      "Vittorio Mori" <vmori@cronosnet.com>
To:        <freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   userland ppp + i4b  no dialing .... desperately seeking help!

I have a really weird problem with my setup ..

I am trying to get userland ppp & the i4b package to work ... but I can't
make ppp "tell" isdnd to dial.

I have d/l & installed the latest versions of both ppp & i4b.

I have used the config files found in the /usr/share/examples directory,
and modified them only regarding passwords & tel. numbers. Both for ppp &
for isdnd

I launch isdnd (which WORKS with sppp - isp0 interface, I can connect to my
isp with no problems).

I launch ppp.

I issue the "dial" command (it's supposed to work that way? I think so..).

Nothing happens, isdnd stays still ....

The log files of ppp shows that ppp "connects" & sends some bytes out, even
starts lcp .... but isdnd does not dial.

I have the correct files in /dev/ regarding i4brbch0 & 1

I've scanned the entire mailing-list for some hints, but came up with zip
.... I've also read that some people is using ppp with i4b, so I assume I
am doing something wrong ...

The ISDN TA is an USR internal, ISA card.

Another problem I've ALWAYS seen with this card (it has 'migrated' into
several computers, with different kind of m/b, cpu etc), and also with the
Teles card, is this

i4b-L1-isic_isac_irq : unit 0: CRC error

every 2 mins or so, and

i4b-L1-isic_isac_irq: unit 0: Receive Aborted error

soon after.

And, every 4 mins or so:

i4b-L1-timer4_expired : state = F3 Deactivated

(btw: there is a way to get rid of these messages ?)

I also stumbled in the spppcontrol program problem, which, when I upgraded
to i4b 0.83, stopped working. I used a 0.70 version and worked.

There have been many many frustrating pitfalls this time .... but with
computers is somewhat  normal :)

 Thanks 10000 for any help,

   Wyk'99