Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2008 04:52:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 1GBit router?

--- Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 04:39:57PM -0800, Barney
> Cordoba wrote:
> >
> > --- Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se> wrote:

> > > another
> enough" is

> boot
> > > from a

> > > harddisk,
> for
> > > each

> > > that
> slot.
> you
> > > have

> router?
> > >
> > > He did not say anything about a single port
> router.
> > > He talked about single port network cards.  You
> can
> > > use more than one of them when building a
> router.
> >
> > His argument is that there are only 1x PCIe cards
> that
> > have 1 port. Since he needs 2 ports, and there are
> 2
> > port
> > PCIe cards, then his argument makes no sense. But
> the
> > point is that PCIe NICs are implemented with 1
> port
> > per lane in the chip. So a 2 port card will use 2
> > lanes
>
> No, the argument was that all 1-port PCI-E cards are
> only
> x1, ergo a x1 card must be fast enough for 1 port,
> else there
> would be 1-port cards manufactured that used more
> than
> one lane.

PCIe cards are 1x because the chips are all wired for
1x. Intel has a marketing plan. Its not to use low-end
chips for high-end operations. Intel is just going to
cannibalized their own business by putting out higher
performance low-end chips.

> > > consider a
> > >
> > > What lack of PCI-E cards?  These days there are
> > > quite a
> > > few to choose between.
> >
> > Yes, but they are all 1x, while there are many 1
> and 2
> > port PCIx cards which are twice as fast.
>
> There are dual- and quad-port PCI-E cards available
> too, and they are
> generally x4 lane models.
>
> Today there really is very little reason to use
> PCI-X instead
> of PCI-E when one is putting together a brand new
> system.

the "reason" is that its faster, but its clear that
you have no
interest in understanding that, so I'll give up on
trying to educated you.
The math is clearly over your head.

Barney

Looking for last minute shopping deals?