Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:44:38 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.x hang-on-boot on Dell 1950

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 08:57:56PM -0500, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Richard Tector <
> richardtector@thekeelecentre.com> wrote:
>
> > Can you try with 7.0 (should be available on ftp-archive)?
>
> I can confirm that 7.0 exhibits the same behaviour (and is incidentally very
> chatty about probing the raid controller)
>

> > I have a 1950 from Sept '07 that's now running 7.2-STABLE i386 with the fd
> > devices removed. It started out as 7.0-RELEASE, so maybe its a problem
> > introduced since then?
> >
> > Also, you didn't mention if you were running i386 or amd64.
>
> This 1950 may predate that a bit, but I'm not sure how to nail it down
> exactly, other than by it's hardware components.  Anyways, 7.0 does the same
> thing --- still wedged.

I haven't seen anyone recommend this as a test method yet -- disabling
fdc prior to the kernel booting via the loader prompt:

- Press 6 at the menu,
- At the loader prompt, type:

  set hint.fdc.0.disabled="1"
  boot -v   (or without -v; your choice)

You shouldn't need to set hint.fd.0.disabled="1", since fd0 would
normally bind to fdc0; disable the latter and you disable the lesser.

The intention here is to rule out the device attachment failures from
fdc as the source of the deadlock.

For sake of comparison, on our systems (non-Dell), this is what we see
during fdc/fd probe and shortly after:

fdc0: <floppy drive controller> port 0x3f0-0x3f5,0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on acpi0
fdc0: [FILTER]
fd0: <1440-KB 3.5" drive> on fdc0 drive 0
cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0

I'd have recommended disabling ACPI but you tried it already with the
same results.  :-)

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |