Date:      Tue, 08 Apr 1997 10:15:42 -0700
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        Danny Thomas <D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCO emulation

Danny Thomas wrote:

> in case SCO emulation does exist, my real question follows

Yes, SCO emulation does exist, you activate it in /etc/sysconfig .

> howdie, our library has got a serious problem with the client-server system
> it uses to provide campus-wide access to databases, mostly off CDROM.
> Currently they are running the SCO version of ERL (www.silverplatter.com)
> which doesn't seem to handle the increasing load very well. The library
> people don't have much unix experience, but at the direction of the ERL
> distributors have tweaked various OS parameters to no avail. Of course the
> problem could be within ERL, but I'm wondering whether it's worth their
> while trying to run the server software on another UNIX offering SCO
> emulation.

I worked some time for a library (my address is from the library), and
did use SCO once. I was thinking in using the software you mention, but
I never took the time. Furthermore, I was going to ask them to pack
their software in amore conventional (tar.gz) format. My opinion is:

1) SCO does fail under heavy load because their old compiler in their
old versions was developed by Microsoft :-). They also have this policy
of limiting the number of users and build their kernels accordingly.
2) As a general rule FreeBSD is faster (even when emulating) and as
stable. SCO's emulation has improved in the latest release, but it
didn't give me problems using ISIS for Unix with 2.1.5.
3) In your particular case, you can combine the SCO ERL server with the
Linux http gateway because we also emulate Linux.

> This is a serious immediate issue for the library, but the ERL distributors
> haven't been able to say that throwing extra money at the servers will
> improve the situation. SilverPlatter are also developing Linux & NT
> versions of the server, but the situation needs to be fixed now.

Someone was working with WinNT on this (I don't use those products) and
reported the TCP-IP part never worked, and that they required IPX.
We are working with ISIS and ISIS-freeWAIS around here but it has not
been an urgent issue. Give ERL a try, it should work, specially if you
can grab some SCO shared libraries that might be needed (I don't know
which,  but since you have an SCO box you can find out). FreeBSD is
definitely better.

Pedro.