Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 10:25:22 -0400
From:      Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PortalFS in 2.2.6 working?

I've spent most of the weekend tinkering with 2.26, and PortalFS, with no major
successes. Before I go in to hacking around in a part of the kernel I know
very little about, I just wanted to get a pulse as to where people think
PortalFS is in 2.2.6.

I grabbed the portal.conf from the source tree (/usr/src/sbin/mount_portal),
and stuck it in /etc. It reads:

# @(#)portal.conf	8.1 (Berkeley) 6/5/93
# $Id: portal.conf,v 1.1.1.1 1994/05/26 06:34:33 rgrimes Exp $
tcplisten/	tcplisten tcplisten/
tcp/		tcp tcp/
fs/		file fs/
pipe/		pipe
foo/		exec ./bar bar baz

I then wrote a short program that tried to open "/portal/tcp/1.2.3.4/23" to
get a socket for a telnet connection (with flags O_RDWR).

Having traced through mount_portal, it appears that everything works fine
until around like 154 of activate.c, where the sendmsg() call doesn't
work (so = 4 at this point), which causes the calling application to
get an errno = 54 at open time.

If I open the socket as read only (as cat < /portal/tcp/1.2.3.4/23), it
claims the socket is closed by the other end (which would be true if
telnetd at the other end tries to do a read, which it will).

So, I guess my question(s) is(are):

1.) Does portalfs work, and I'm just doing something stupid?

2.) If portalfs does appear to be broken, can anyone with greater knowledge
of this type of filesystem give me a pointer or two to let me know what they
think may be the culprit, and I'll go chance it down (and yes, options PORTAL
appears in my kernel config).

Thanks...
	-Brian