Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 1999 11:22:35 +0100
From:      Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, Michael Searle <searle@longacre.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>, Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: programming port

If memory serves me right, Mark Ovens said on 1999-12-23 18:22 +0000:

> On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 03:07:09PM +0000, Michael Searle wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 06:34:31AM +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
>> >
>> > Yes, it's in the latest version of xscreensaver (3.21). From bsod(1):
>> >
>> >      "Systems depicted include Microsoft's Windows 95 and Windows
>> >       NT, Commodore-Amiga's AmigaDOS 1.3, SPARC Linux, SCO UNIX,
>> >       the Apple Macintosh (both the MacsBug debugger and the rarer
>> >       "Sad Mac"), and the Atari ST."
>>
>> They are in the process of getting a Win2K crash as well - they
>> started booting it up a few weeks ago, so if we are lucky it should
>> be up and ready to crash before the end of the millennium.
>>
>> Running this screensaver seems like a good way for a well meaning
>> person to power cycle your machine though. Ooops...
>>

> Someone at work has a BSoD screensaver running on NT itself (honestly,
> it *is* a screensaver). As well as displaying the BSoD it then goes on
> to display a simulated re-boot and CHKDSK, finding thousands of
> corrupt clusters, removing "lost" files etc. All a bit too realistic
> for my liking :)

That screensaver (BTW, available from www.sysinternals.com) is really a
pice of art. It actually detects your hardware and processor and adapts the
BSOD screen to this data. I've removed this from my NT work boxes after
accidently rebooting one of them :-)

Merry Christmas
  lutz
--
Lutz Albers, lutz@tavari.de, pgp key available from <http://www.pgp.net>;
Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.