Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 1999 19:36:19 +0000
From:      Theo PAGTZIS <T.Pagtzis@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
To:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        Theo PAGTZIS <T.Pagtzis@cs.ucl.ac.uk>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3.2 -> 3.3-stable

This is definetely a paradox...

A stable which is not stable...what is it (enigma) ?

This definitely proves once more my thought about the erroneous of the naming
convention and the semantics behind it.....

My impression of a stable is that one develops something which has been tested
to the extent that is stable, i.e won't crash unless you stress it to the
limits (whatever the limits are). Obviously this stable should need more
testing before one can promote it to RC or release candidate..It is only when
the release candidate has matured in terms of bug fixes that it could move up
to a RELEASE merging with the master branch and setting there a revertable
milestone. From release one could then spawn a new branch that would move for
the next version of stable---RC-----Release. In other words:

1) ----- (proposed)  REL 3.2-----Stable 3.3-----RC 3.3----REL 3.3---Stable
3.4---RC 3.4---REL 3.4---etc..

with a new branch spawning at REL 3.X and merging back on REL 3.Y for new
developments while the master REL 3 is kept only with getting more bugs fixed
not new development unless a merge with REL 3.Z is imminent (and even that
should be branch-layered) if you want to really keep the REL master branch
intact from merge waves..

whereas now the scheme is

2) ------ (currently)   REL 3.2----Stable 3.2---RC 3.3---REL 3.3---Stable
3.3----RC 3.4---REL 3.4---Stable 3.4----etc..

Now look the situation of the crash of the stable 3.3 and try to place it in
one of the two schemes...which one is more reasonable for you...??????

Consider now again the existing convention....is it really sound?????

Theodore

CS dept. UCL