Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:32:27 -0300
From:      Roberto de Iriarte <roberto@spock.cl>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Mahlon <mahlon-dated-1044322823.908f1c@martini.nu>
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Compaq ES40 Alpha, FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE - install issue.

Wilko Bulte wrote:

>On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 05:40:21PM -0800, Mahlon wrote:
>

>ES40 is not a supported platform for FreeBSD/alpha list time I checked.
>
>Please post boot messages, this makes me curious.
>
>W/
>

>>Originally posted to -stable, firing it off over here in the hopes that
>>someone might know what the prob is.
>>
>>I'm not subscribed to -alpha - please cc me on any replies.
>>

>>Mahlon E. Smith                        jabber id: mahlon@chat.martini.nu
>>http://www.martini.nu/               get pgp key:  mahlon-pgp@martini.nu
>>    I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more
>>   planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.  --
>>                               Jack Handey
>>

>>----- Forwarded message from Mahlon <mahlon-dated-1044302642.4a3423@martini.nu> -----
>>
>>Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:03:59 -0800
>>To: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>>Subject: Compaq ES40 Alpha, FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE - install issue.
>>From: Mahlon <mahlon-dated-1044302642.4a3423@martini.nu>
>>

>>I'm having some installation problems here that I'm hoping someone has
>>seen before.  It's my first attempt to install on an Alpha, so it's
>>entirely possible that I am missing something rather basic - or simply
>>don't know where to delve for diagnostic info.
>>
>>On my initial attempt, sysinstall would sig11 when trying to write the
>>disklabel.  I've since gone through and updated the abios and srm to the
>>newest revisions - no more sig11, hooray.  Now I see this instead, *after*
>>the disklabel, during newfs:
>>
>>---------------------------------------------
>>/dev/da0a: 128.0 (262144 sectors) block size 16384, fragment size 2048
>>    using 4 cylinder group of 32.02MB, 2049 blks, 4224 inodes.
>>super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
>>    32, 65600, 131168, 196736
>>write error: 0
>>newfs: wtfs: Operation not permitted
>>---------------------------------------------
>>
>>And voila, I'm stuck.
>>
>>Any help offered is appreciated, I'm eager to get this beast running.
>>
>>On a side note - no fdisk option in sysinstall?  Is that normal on alpha
>>installs, or is that new to 5.0?
>>
>>-Mahlon
>>
>>----- End forwarded message -----

ES40 is not supported indeed, but it seems to work far enough for you to
get these
messages (should it ?). Could you please post the result of (SRM)

 >>> sh conf

and elaborate on the disk layout on your system.

A bootlog would be also very helpful.

Also, how did you arrange the partitions ?

I have the feeling that it might work with a little effort.

Would be interesting in the extreme, ES40's are getting cheaper, they
might get within
the reach of hobbists and kernel hackers in the close future!

Regards,
Roberto