Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 14:04:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Chiarchiaro <wjc@work.cleartech.com>
To:        des@ofug.org
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop doesn't suspend properly

Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> wrote:

> After I upgraded my ThinkPad 600E from -STABLE to -CURRENT last month,
> it no longer suspends properly. Closing the lid seemingly causes it to
> suspend (the LEDs do their usual dance), but it only stays suspended
> for one, maybe two seconds before resuming for no apparent reason.

  I had a similar problem after starting to track -STABLE shortly
before the release of 4.2.  My 600E has BIOS INET24WW.  I run with
suspend-on-close disabled (I like to be able to close the machine and
still have it running), but I saw behavior such as you described when
using the 'Fn-F4' key combination to suspend.

  If I recall, this problem happened if I had 'options PNPBIOS' in my
kernel conf and pcic0 configured to use polling mode.

  In the freebsd-mobile archive, see:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=246395+259232+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-mobile/20001210.freebsd-mobile

Bill Chiarchiaro
wjc@work.cleartech.com