Date:      Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:00:51 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Benjamin Rosenblum <ben@benswebs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with SK and EM network cards/drivers on my system

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:15:51 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.net you
wrote:

>Im having an issue with my new linksys eg1032 nic and the onboard intel=20
>82547EI on my new server.  ill go over both problems individually and=20
>include my dmesg below that.=20
>
>now the EM problem.
>
>when i am running a very high network load (streaming video, dumping=20
>ALOT of data across the network, etc) the network card disconnects (i=20
>loose pings and all my transfers drop) and 15-20 seconds later it pops=20
>up on the console with "em0: Link is up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex" and then=20
>it starts working again.  again im at a dead wall and really want my=20
>network to work properly so i can do what i need to do.

Not sure about the sk issue, but there have been some changes to the
em driver since 5.4.  If you can, I would try moving to 6.0R when it
comes out.  Also, what is the em nic plugged into ? Does the port have
any logging facilities to see what might be going on from the switch's
perspective ?

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa, Sentex communications http://www.sentex.net
Providing Internet Access since 1994