Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 2009 00:53:52 -0400
From:      Allen <GedankeZauberer@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Quickie question

Hey all,

I know this SHOULD go to FreeBSD-Questions, but I'm trying to fix up a machine
right now, so I don't have normal access to my mail account, and this is the
only one I can send to without spending a half hour redoing something, so
please allow this once to ask here:

On my test machine, I noticed the usual mail to root letting me know that
there were some security problems in a few things I have installed, like
Opera and Thunderbird, and so I first did a freebsd-update to get the base
system updated to make sure that was done, and I also did portupdate on those
packages like this:

portupdate -v opera

I did it on pidgin and realized it couldn't sign in anymore and thought "Oh
man, one of those I'm tired errors" I forgot to update the other parts, so
rather than make a huge list of stuff to update, I did this:

portupdate or portupgrade -a to get them all. After I did this, I noticed that
pkg_add -r no longer lets me add things.

It says that it has no access or can't be found. Just to be sure I did
pkg_add -r kde and got the same message (I already have KDE, I did it to see
if it was just me spelling it wrong)

I know I missed something... I just can't for the life of me find out what...
I know I'm doing something wrong though.

So anyway, after running it with -a, what should I have done? Why would a few
things stop working ? Did I do something terribly stupid? The network
connection is fine, I checked that, it's just that I can't use pkg_add -r
anymore.