Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:24:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        jim@ohlste.in
Cc:        jdc@koitsu.org, rpaulo@FreeBSD.org, zkolic@sbb.rs, nork@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, jkim@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amdtemp does not find my CPU.

On 16 Mar, Jim Ohlstein wrote:
> On 3/16/13 2:20 AM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>>>
>>> The module from head "works" for me with an 8120 on 9.1 stable (r247893)
>>> though the results are inconsistent. I am not certain of how useful they
>>> are.
>>>
>>> # sysctl hw.model
>>> hw.model: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor
>>>
>>> # kldstat | grep amd
>>>  5    1 0xffffffff8183e000 1043     amdtemp.ko
>>>
>>> # sysctl -a | grep dev.amdtemp
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.%desc: AMD CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.%driver: amdtemp
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.%parent: hostb4
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.sensor_offset: 0
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 47.7C
>>>
>>> Here are results taken at 0.1 second intervals using a shell script:
>>>
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 42.1C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 42.2C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 42.0C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 42.1C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 41.8C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 41.7C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 51.1C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 51.0C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 50.7C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 50.5C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 50.1C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 49.8C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 49.5C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 49.2C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 49.2C
>>>

>>> and again:
>>>
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 41.5C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 41.2C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 40.8C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 40.8C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 41.0C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 41.3C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 41.6C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 41.3C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 54.0C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 53.7C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 53.3C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 53.1C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 52.7C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 52.3C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 52.1C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 51.7C
>>> dev.amdtemp.0.core0.sensor0: 51.5C
>>>
>>> You can see during each series there are sudden increases of over 9C and
>>> almost 13C respectively.
>>>
>>> The same effect is seen if I track any of the individual cores with
>>> "dev.cpu.[0-7].temperature". Here's an example with a 9C jump in 0.1 second.
>>>
>>> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 41.5C
>>> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 41.5C
>>> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 41.7C
>>> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 41.7C
>>> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 41.3C
>>> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 41.0C
>>> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 40.7C
>>> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 49.8C
>>> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 49.5C
>>> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 49.2C
>>> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 48.8C
>>> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 48.6C
>>> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 48.2C
>>> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 48.0C
>>>
>>> I don't have hands on access to this box as it's in a datacenter 1000
>>> miles from me, but the techs there had a look and all "seems to be OK".
>>
>> 1. While it's certainly possible the DTS reading routines and/or the
>> calculation formulas may be wrong in amdtemp(4), possibly for your model
>> of CPU, it is also certainly possible that what you're seeing is normal
>> and fully justified.  This is especially the case for the
>> dev.cpu.X.temperature nodes on the K8 family.
>>
>> Respectfully, not combatively nor dismissively: you've not provided a
>> comparison base to prove there's an issue.  You would need to provide
>> data from Linux (I forget what daemon/tool they have to get this) or
>> Windows (Core Temp).
>
> Respectfully, not combatively nor dismissively: I hadn't attempted to
> "prove" anything. I said: "I am not certain of how useful they [the
> readings] are.". I had merely provided some observational data as an
> aside to the fact that yes, indeed, the module provides readings for me
> on the 8120 This was in direct response to to Zoran's issue with this
> module and that processor model.
>
> This started, for me, when I looked at a graph of average core
> temperatures taken at 30 second intervals on two different machines
> using Zabbix. The fluctuations were visibly (I know that's not
> scientific "proof") more wild than on this server than on another using
> the amdtemp module from 9 stable.
>
> I don't have access to another server with this model CPU on any other
> OS, or even on this OS, so I cannot provide the data to "prove" this is
> an issue according to your criteria. However, I will provide comparative
> data from the other machine with the module from stable and with the the
> module from head.
>

> Full data taken now:
>
> # sysctl hw.model
> hw.model: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor
>
> Using the module from head:
>
> http://pastebin.com/wqQ0FLq3
>
> Note the big change between lines 34 and 35.

My FX-4100 behaves the same way.  I noticed it because on an idle system
	sysctl -a | grep amdtemp
would read consistently higher than
	sysctl dev.amdtemp

I think the thermal sensor in this AMD CPU family has a much faster
response time so that it is more sensitive to temperature changes caused
by CPU load over the short term.  Going from idle to 100% CPU load for
even 0.1 seconds and then back to idle is likely to change the die
temperature a lot, but will probably only have a negligible effect on
the heat sink temperature.  The faster response time may be needed to
support AMD Turbo CORE.