Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 15:52:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Denis DeLaRoca <denis@acacia.cts.ucla.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8 to 3.1 upgrade and DEC 21140 Ethernet

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Denis DeLaRoca wrote:

> I am trying to do a 2.2.8 to 3.1 upgrade over the network. Problem is that
> the 3.1 installer doesn't offer/recognize the DEC 21140 network adapter
> (de0) as a choice at the point that a suitabel network connection is
> to be chosen for the install.
>
> Any workarounds or solutions to this?

Check the boot messages (hit scroll lock then up-arrow).  The de cards are
certainly supported in 3.1.

BTW, that upgrade is a bad idea; the aout libs are NOT moved out of the
way before the upgrade.  As such your old apps will fall over until you
move the aout libs to /some/path/lib/aout and add to the rc.conf line
'ldconfig_aout_paths'.

That or rebuild and reinstall all ports & packages.

Doug White