Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:37:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding DHCP client to src/contrib/

In article <XFMail.990209165224.doconnor.kithrup.freebsd.current@gsoft.com.au> you write:
>Hmmm.. This annoyed me actually..
>There is NO config file which means its damn annoying for you to tweak how it works..

Would you please settle on a set of misinformation and stick with it?

isc-dhcp's client *does* have a very extensive configuration file.  Same
parser as the server.

In 99.9% of cases, it needs to be a 0-length file.

In some other cases, it needs to be configured.  Due to a bug in the version
of isc-dhcpd at work, for example, I needed to have a /etc/dhclient.conf file
that looked like:

	send dhcp-client-identifier "sef-laptop";

There are a bunch of things I could specify.  Interestingly enough, they're
documented in dhclient.conf(5), which comes with the isc-dhcp package.

So:  not only does isc-dhcp have extensive configuration options, but, in the
common case, it's not needed at all.