Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 18:36:55 +0100
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        stable@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   finally ! a trace for my problems with IDE drives

Hello,

I had previously inquired on how to help investigating some problems
I have with IDE drives (some of the machines are regularly halting while
accessing the drives)

The FreeBSD release is 4.1-RELEASE and the drives used are
WDC WD64AA (the motherboard is BX-based)

My first answer was to disable DMA accesses (sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio)

Even with PIO, there has been some problems : some of the machines
were blocking on hard disk access.

I have found one specific PC which seems to be problematic and I have
set up a serial console to see what happens.

The following is the trace :

login:

ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices ..  device dissapeared! 1 ata0-master: timeout waiting
to give command=c6 s=d0 e=00
ata0-master: timeout waiting to give command=ef s=d0 e=00
done
ata0-master: timeout waiting to give command=c4 s=d0 e=00
ad0: error executing command
spec_getpages:(#ad/0x40005) I/O read failure: (error=5) bp 0xc3740ca0 vp 0xc818c
a80
               size: 15872, resid: 15872, a_count: 15704, valid: 0x0
               nread: 0, reqpage: 0, pindex: 0, pcount: 4

I also have two of the same machines running a much more recent version of
FreeBSD (4.1-20001029-STABLE), and which are continuously running
a "make buildworld" in a while loop (still in PIO mode). The have been
compiling since 36 hours straight, and they are still happy (touch wood ?).

     I will tomorrow upgrade le promblem machine to a more recent Stable
     and see if there are still problems.

     TfH