Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 19:58:43 -0400
From:      Devin Smith <devin-smith@rintrah.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Kory Hamzeh <kory@avatar.com>
Subject:   Re: Looking for a sendmail replacement

>I'm looking for a MTA to replace sendmail. My requirements are:
>
>1. Easy to understand and configure
>2. Supports parallel delivery.
>3. Easy to understand and configure
>4. Supports virtual hosting
>5. Easy to understand and configure
>
>I looked at qmail and passed on it. I need the same functionality of sendmail

[snip]

you might want to look at qmail just one more time... if you follow the
documentation *exactly* as the author lays out, it is extremely easy to
understand and configure. It even has FreeBSD specific instructions.  The
hardest part, I found, was finding that the documentation existed. So
here it is:

http://www.qmail.org/man/misc/INSTALL.txt

All the files referred to in that document may be found by name here:

http://www.qmail.org/man/misc/

All I have to say is that anyone who takes time to painstakingly document
how to add *user accounts* for 5 different Unix variants for their
program is doing a pretty thorough job.

Example from INSTALL.ids:

FreeBSD 2.2:

   # pw groupadd nofiles
   # pw useradd alias -g nofiles -d /var/qmail/alias -s /nonexistent
   # pw useradd qmaild -g nofiles -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent
   # pw useradd qmaill -g nofiles -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent
   # pw useradd qmailp -g nofiles -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent
   # pw groupadd qmail
   # pw useradd qmailq -g qmail -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent
   # pw useradd qmailr -g qmail -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent
   # pw useradd qmails -g qmail -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent

--devin

--
Devin Smith                | Master of nothing in particular
http://127.0.0.1           |