Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:11:13 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015431074.203899@mired.org>
To:        "Paul C. Boyle" <paulcb_mcse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GUI  question.

Paul C. Boyle <paulcb_mcse@yahoo.com> types:
> This posting is mainly directed to the OLDIES.

I started with v6, back in the early 80s.  Before anyone was seriously
considering marketing GUIs.g

> Do you use FreeBSD as a desktop workstation or do you still clean windows.

I've never used either DOS or FreeBSD as a desktop workstation.

> Does FreeBSD do everything you need for a workstation?

Basically, yes. There are some thing I'd like to play with that I
can't because of lack of hardware support, but that's just
play. Anything that looks even vaguely like real work can be handled
by FreeBSD. Even in cases where that "vaguely" is very so, like
checking VCD's I've made to mail to friends, the FreeBSD apps do
better than the common Windows apps - which surprised me.

> Personaly I think KDE is elegant.  And I can't see waisting a 17" flat screen
> monitor on just a black and white console.

Personally, I think KDE and Gnome are elephans, and can't see wastiing
most of a 21" monitor on decoration that dosn't add functionality.

> I mean if you have the hardware, use it.

But only if it's appropriate.

Window management is too important to be left to such a low-bandwidth
device as a mouse.	-- Jim Mackraz

I use a window manager that lets me use a higher-bandwidth device than
the mouse. Give that, the only decoration a window needs is a border
that changes color to indicate the active window. My borders are 5
pixels wide.

GIven all that, I'm not sure you'd call it a GUI. I run X, and have
gkrellm and a mixer with sliders, and use some applications that do
the folders/files requestor. FWIW, it's the plpwm example in the
x11-wm/plwm port.

> I do use windows to play a few games now and then but if FreeBSD could do
> that I'd be a happy man.

After 20+ years of working on computers 8 hours a day, I don't play
games on them. Well, except my Palm. The playstation is for playing
games on. Besides which, a controller in an easy chair is much more
comfortable than a keyboard at a desk.

> I see in the news that IBM is supporting LInux and maybe HP is as well.
> Why do you suppose they overlooked FreeBSD.
> Not that I would want a corporate stering committe, that could compromise
> quality for deadlines.

> What do you think?

HP is a hardware shop, and will use whatever software they can to sell
their hardware. Right now, Linux has the name recognition, and so
they'll sell more boxes. IBM has done a number of different Unix
systems - ranging from PC/IX to Unix under VM on 3xxxx
hardware. They've had - at best - mediocre performance in the
market. I think they're trying a Unix-like OS instead of real Unix to
see if they get better success.

	<mike