Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 22:30:16 +1000
From:      David Burren <david@burren.cx>
To:        Howard Leadmon <howardl@account.abs.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS with multiple subnets/vhosts, any ideas??

Here goes attempt 2.  I sent this from work earlier in the day but have
seen no sign of it yet.  Please excuse me if this is a duplicate.

Howard Leadmon wrote:

> Here is my config:
>
> MACHINE A:
>
> ifconfig_de0="inet 207.114.198.11  netmask 255.255.255.0"
> defaultrouter="207.114.198.250"
> # -- Add Vhosts -- #
> ifconfig_de0_alias1="inet 206.88.228.13 netmask 0xffffffff"
> ifconfig_de0_alias1="inet 206.88.228.14 netmask 0xffffffff"
> ifconfig_de0_alias1="inet 206.88.228.15 netmask 0xffffffff"
> ifconfig_de0_alias2="inet 199.29.143.73 netmask 0xffffffff"
>
> ========
>
> If I only run on the primary interface, then all is fine, but if I enable
> the aliases which are on different subnets then the trouble begins.  If I
> try and fire up sendmail, it just hangs and starts giving me RPC timeouts
> on the console from yp, as it doesn't like that the aliases are in a different
> subnet from the main ip range mounted on the machine.  I can mount more from
> the main subnet, but not from anything else.  I need multiple subnets on
> the machine, so thats the problem.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I've done this in the past
has been to specify the "real" netmask for the first alias in each extra
subnet, and 255.255.255.255 for all other aliases.  Otherwise the
machine has little chance of interacting normally with broadcast traffic
on the extra subnets...
__
David Burren