Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:55:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      drewshen <drewsheneman@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   mysql.sock

I installed  mysql through ports on freebsd 6.1.  i started the daemon, and
mysql starts.  however when i try "mysql" i get
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock'

i looked this up on the mysql page and did find much help.  first i tried

shell> chmod +t /tmp

to protect tmp.  that didnt solve it, so i tried to point my sock file to
another directory in /etc/my.cnf.  i got the same error message, even with
the new directory.  does anyone know where my problem lies? thanks!