Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:48:28 -0700
From:      Chris St Denis <chris@smartt.com>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.3 Problems

Annelise Anderson wrote:

>     After 3 years, by apache 1.3 server quite working.  It shows a
> PID, it's running, it can be stopped and restarted, and from FreeBSD
> the home page comes up using lynx http://andrsn.stanford.edu
>
>     But from outside, it times out.
>
>     I have run the texts for valid configuration (I haven't changed
> anything) and I actually rebooted the machine.  The texts are okay and
> rebooting doesn't help.
>
>     The machine is pingable.  It's running FreeBSD 5.5 or so.
>
>     What to do next?
>
>         Annelise
Sounds like a (probebly external) firewall issue. Just because pings get
through, doesn't mean the http requests are.

I'd run ngrep or tcpdump on the console and double-check that the
packets are actually making it to the server.

Also, do a "sockstat -4" and make sure it's listening on the approprate IP.