Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 1996 23:56:15 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Subject:   Re: NCR8150S + mach64 not happy

On Feb 13, 13:48, Doug White wrote:
} On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Stefan Esser wrote:
}
} > Well, I already looked at your boot message log,
} > and it appears you did not configure an interrupt
} > for the PCI slot you placed the NCR card in ...
}
} I went into the system BIOS setup and gave it an address and now it works
} under bsd.  But that was two days ago :-)

Sorry, deviating from old customs, I took two days
off over the weekend, to find my mail inbox filled
with >700 mails on Monday :)   (honestly!)

I've only now reduced this to those 100 I need to
reply to, and your mail was one of the first that
I answered ...

} But I still have problems under DOS.  A sustained xfer makes the cdrom
} dismount the cd.  I've contacted Symbios support on it.  Shouldn't PCI
} devices auto-configure anyway?

Yes, PCI devices do. But your motherboard obviously
didn't. That's not PCI's mistake. It's just the price
you pay to have fully ISA compatible PCI cards (say
the Buslogic 946C SCSI card) supported ...

If you have a current generation Pentium PCI MB, then
the PCI BIOS will assign one IRQ to each PCI device
found, and you just have to specify which interrupts
are available for PCI at all, not which one to use for
each single slot. But given PC restrictions, this can
make your ISA emulating PCI card break ...

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160