Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:07:34 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Cc:        ath5k-devel@lists.ath5k.org, ath9k-devel <ath9k-devel@lists.ath9k.org>
Subject:   Request for help: gui toolkit creation for atheros PHY/MAC statistics

Hi all,

I'd like some help in writing a GUI toolkit for recording, playing
back and visualising some of the PHY/MAC statistics the Atheros NICs
expose.

What I can do: help with the MAC/PHY side of things, identify what
initial things would be good to support and what would actually be
useful.
What I can't do: dedicate time to write a GUI. :-)
What I'd like to see: something completely free/open source written so
we can improve the foss wireless development process.
(Why I'm doing this: I'm fed up staring at printf() debugging in
ath9k/FreeBSD and it's hard to have others visualise what's going on
..)

I'd like it to be in C++/QT (before you ask - if you can make python
or ${OTHER_LANG} handle the sheer rates of wifi traffic, MAC counters
and PHY errors, _live_, and on tablet/atom class hardware, then please
by all means do so..) and I'd like it to be platform portable. That
way it can be used as a visualisation tool on other platforms, even if
it's unable to do live capture itself (think MacOSX/Windows.)

I'm talking about peaking on upwards of 10,000 PHY events a second in
a very noisy environment, as well as the potential for some frequency
domain analysis of time series data. This is why I think C++ is a more
suitable target language over anything scripting-y.

If you're interested in this then please drop me a private line and
we'll get this off the ground.

Thanks,

Adrian