Date:      Fri, 16 May 2008 15:22:25 -0400
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df@mired.org>
To:        Mark Foster <mark@foster.cc>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: lwresd howto]

On Fri, 16 May 2008 12:01:50 -0700
Mark Foster <mark@foster.cc> wrote:

> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > What makes you think dnsmasq doesn't cache? The documentation says
> > otherwise (second paragraph of the man page):
> >
> >        Dnsmasq accepts DNS queries and  either  answers  them  from  a  small,
> >        local,  cache  or  forwards  them  to a real, recursive, DNS server. It
> >
> > it has quite a few options to control caching behavior, and certainly
> > seems to cache for me.
> >

> Thanks for pointing out my error.
> I have no problem using dnsmasq if that is the best recommendation, in
> fact I quite like it but am not fond of djbdns.

I wanted a cooperating dhcp & dns server, and having them in one
package is to big a win to ignore.

> However lwresd *is* in the base install vs. dnsmasq which is a port, so
> would like to use lwresd if possible (or something else in base like
> cached). There is nothing I find in the man page, handbook or google
> that says I shouldn't or can't use lwresd, only hints that I can, yet
> with no clear working real-world examples.
>
> So I'm really hoping for two answers.
> 1. Can lwresd be used (somehow) or not

lwresd isn't a dns server. I suspect it's in the base system because
it comes bundled with bind, rather than because it's used itself, as
there's no hook to start it in /etc/rc or /etc/defaults.

> 2. What are the viable/best alternatives to  #1 for a caching-only stub
> resolver (like nscd on linux)

dnsmasq is viable. May not be the best for your needs, but it works
great for me.

      <mike