Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 2004 00:13:39 -0700
From:      "T. Halter" <tom@vsn1.com>
To:        <des@des.no>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Emailing: 019150.htm

'kern.maxpipekva exceeded' messages...Dag & everyone,

  I'm running into the same problem.  I understand that this can be =
fixed by putting a variable in the /boot/loader.conf file.  I've ready =
the man pages for loader and loader.conf and I do not understand what =
variable to include or what format to put it in.

  Could someone please give me a hand here and either explain what to do =
or where I can find some helpful text to fix this?

  Thanks!

T. Halter
SysAd
VSN1

'kern.maxpipekva exceeded' messages...
Dag-ErlingSm=F8rgrav des at des.no=20
Tue Jan 20 00:57:24 PST 2004=20

  a.. Previous message: 'kern.maxpipekva exceeded' messages...=20
  b.. Next message: i865 Video Memory=20
  c.. Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]=20

-------

Peter Losher <Peter_Losher at isc.org> writes:
> In updating one of our authoritiative name servers to 5.2-REL, we =
enountered=20
> after two days of running, kernel message like:
>
> kern.maxpipekva exceeded, please see tuning(7).
>
> appearing to the point to where you couldn't ssh into the box (because =
sshd=20
> died w/ too many files opened).  I see so mention of kern.maxpipekva =
on the=20
> tuning man page, and greping only finds kern.ipc entries.
>
> % sysctl -a | grep pipekva
> kern.ipc.maxpipekva: 10485760
> kern.ipc.maxpipekvawired: 5242880
> kern.ipc.pipekva: 131072
> kern.ipc.pipekvawired: 0
>
> Are they the same, and if so, what's are the guidelines for increasing =
the=20
> number?

yes, the error message is incorrect.

here's an excerpt from comment in the kernel sources:

 * In order to limit the resource use of pipes, two sysctls exist:
 *
 * kern.ipc.maxpipekva - This is a hard limit on the amount of pageable
 * address space available to us in pipe_map.  Whenever the amount in =
use
 * exceeds half of this value, all new pipes will be created with size
 * SMALL_PIPE_SIZE, rather than PIPE_SIZE.  Big pipe creation will be =
limited
 * as well.  This value is loader tunable only.
 *
 * kern.ipc.maxpipekvawired - This value limits the amount of memory =
that may
 * be wired in order to facilitate direct copies using page flipping.
 * Whenever this value is exceeded, pipes will fall back to using =
regular
 * copies.  This value is sysctl controllable at all times.
 *
 * These values are autotuned in subr_param.c.
 *
 * Memory usage may be monitored through the sysctls
 * kern.ipc.pipes, kern.ipc.pipekva and kern.ipc.pipekvawired.

You can set these variables in /boot/loader.conf.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des at des.no

-------