Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 1995 15:12:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        mal@algonet.se (Mats Lofkvist)
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, current@FreeBSD.org, committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: eBones Changes coming soon!

> Why were ANSI prototypes bad?  Just curious.

That wasn't a case of ANSI prototypes, it was a case of function
declaration.

The extern declarations have (and should have) __P(( int a, char *b))
wrappers on them so that an ANSI compiler can do type checking that
would be in the linker if anyone could build a linker with any brains
(besides Fred Fish's M88k one, I mean).

The only valid argument for prototypes in the function declarations
themselves is so you can compile the kernel with C++, which is not
likely because of other issues (like assembly functions not having
compiler specific argument attribute extensions, or linking as a
standalone binary with no way to call constructors/destructors for
virtual base classes, etc. at startup, or some kernel specific
headers not being C++ safe).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---