Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 19:10:39 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Kenneth Merry <ken@ulc199.residence.gatech.edu>
Cc:        andrew@pubnix.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uptime report

: 	How long has your X server been running?  That's the real key, I
: think.

THERE IS NO X SERVER RUNNING ON THIS MACHINE.  There used to be, but
there isn't anymore.  The X server had been running for 58 of the 60
days my machine has been up.

: When you run xdm, and log in and out, I don't think the X server
: process is ever actually killed.

xdm is for an X terminal that I have hanging off of this machine, not
for the console.  No one is logged into that X terminal right now.

: 	This could be a vm-type problem/feature, in that the memory used by
: the process is left allocated by the vm system in case it is needed again
: by the same process.  Who knows.

I think it is a simple swap leak.  When the X server is restarted via
XDM, it will free up everything, but still remain as big as it was.
The new person to get the X server will use that memory.  This assumes
the classic model of malloc never returning memory to the OS.

There are no sets of numbers that add up to 33M of swap when I do the
PS.  vmstat also shows that 21M of memory in use.

Like I said, at this point, I'm willing just to chalk it up to my
getting a not quite stable -stable kernel and see if I have similar
problems with the -current kernel/system that I'll be building while I
sleep tonight. [*]

If I find anything interesting out, I'll let people know.

Warner

[*] If I read -current right, I need to make make and install it and
the new .mk files, then make and install ld then make world....  We'll
see :-).