Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:58:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        Aijaz Baig <aijaz.abaig@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sudeors file not affecting user privileges

Hi,

> *sudo: /usr/local/etc/sudoers is mode 0644, should be 0440
> *Well..what exactly is mode 0644 and how can I make sure that my users who
> have been permitted to excute this command are in mode 0440? What exactly
> are these modes and what do they mean?
Aijaz, please look here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/permissions.html
and 'man chmod'

> Will something like *chmod 0440 sudoers* work to solve this issue? I am a
> bit wary of experimenting with this so Id rather ask before doing it?

This command should do it! It's removing the read flag for others and
write flag for the owner, but please keep this in mind because next time
you want to edit it the file will be readonly.

If you want to get better results with this type of questions please use
freebsd-questions list!

Best regards,

Gheorghe Ardelean.