Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:36:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph Kukulies)
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crypto fs?

> Is there an implementation of the crypto filesystem for FreeBSD?
>
> Such that a disk that falls into hands of anyone not knowing
> the secret key cannot be decyphered in the duration of the universe?

Sorry for the latency on the reply.

Yes, several students of John Heidemann's at UCLA built a crypto
FS; they have also built a compressing FS.

John is the guy who built the VFS stacking code for the UCLA
FICUS project; it is the code that is used by FreeBSD today.

Last time I talked to John, he was wiling to release the code
for experimental purposes, so long as you were willing to
agree to a non-redistribution waiver.

Note that the FreeBSD VFS stacking is still somewhat broken
due to cached object duplication in the way FreeBSD deals with
vnodes as backing objects, so having the code for a FreeBSD
system (as opposed to a BSDI or Solaris system) may not do you
much good.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---