Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2003 09:21:23 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   OT: multitrack recording [was: recording audio with SoundBlaster Live...]

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 09:06:14AM -0500, John Bleichert wrote:
> I do a *lot* of recording with my SBLive! card and FreeBSD. It's all
> guitar and drum machine through a 4-track, plugged into my sound card. The
> trick with the line-in (at least on my rig) was that the input volume on
> that channel was zero by default. I use the 4-track to do a little pre-mix
> before recording.
>
> I found that if I pull up an audio mixer (kmix, since I use KDE) I can
> bring the level up on line-in just fine. However, I have found that for
> certain tracks the mic input is better, although I have to bring the input
> gain down with kmix. Also, if you need to 'clean up' your recordings to
> get the 'eggs-frying' noise out of the mix (all my vinyl has it :),
> Audacity has great noise filters and it's in the ports collection.
>
> HTH - JB
>
> PS: If you want to carry on this discussion and feel it too off-topic,
> feel free to contact me off-list.
>
> #  John Bleichert

This is off-topic from the original post, but since you mention that you
do a lot recording to your SBLive I though I would ask.  Is there any
good multitrack recording software for FreeBSD.  I recently made a
little preamp so that I could plug my guitar into the sound card and am
looking for multitrack recording software.  I have waded through the
ports and come across a few possibilities, but each leaves something to
be desired.  I found ecasound, audacity, and snd.  Audacity is just what
I am looking for, but v1 doesn't support full duplex on *nix.  Apparently v1.1
does, but it is not released as stable yet.  ecasound looks powerful,
but it would be nice if it had a graphical interface - well, there is
one, but it's not very intuitive and the documentation is nonexistent,
apparently.  snd had an interesting interface, but I can't seem to tell
if it was meant to do what I want, or at least I can't coax it to.  I
just want to make multitrack guitar recordings i.e. record one track and
record the next while listening to the first, etc, etc....any ideas?

Thanks,
Nathan