Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:33:27 -0800
From:      Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Broadcom  5701 (3com 3c996B-T) phy support in 4.5?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this....

I just got a 3com 3c996B-T with a bcm5701 chip. It doesn't work with a
kernel built from 4.5-RC source pulled Friday: the gigabit phy goes
unrecognized, gets attached as a ukphy, which (obviously) doesn't
support 1000baseTX.

Is this expected to work? Its hard to tell from if_bge.

I discovered a suitable value for lines for sys/dev/mii/miidevs
in the  Debian Linux driver:

+model xxBROADCOM BCM5701       0x0011 BCM5701 10/100/1000baseTX PHY

rebuilt the .h file, and added corresponding lines to the probe
routine in bgrphy.c.  That gets the builtin 5400-compatible gigabit
PHY recognized -- it auto-negotiates with my gigabit switch, and gives
the same ttcp same speed as a 5700-- but i still get another 30-odd
ukphy devices attached on that miibus instance.

From investigating the Linux driver, I gather there are a few features
in these chips which may need workarounds (e.g., the Debian driver
includes a new firmware image for some 5701 revs'; and forces master
mode in some revs, to avoid a CRC bug.  Caveat emptor.)

But what'm I doing wrong, to get all the ukphy devices?  (The mii code
has diverged from the NetBSD code I once worked on; old config, I
guess.)

Thanks in advance for any answers.  A "no, its not expected to work"
is fine.