Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:20:59 +1000
From:      "Haikal Saadh" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
To:        "Micke Josefsson" <mj@isy.liu.se>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: About introducing newbies to FreeBSD

Sysinstall, compared to some of the linux installers look dated, however,
when it works, it works really well. When it doesn't, it leads to much
tearing of hair.

<flashback>
	It took me three long months of patience to have a FreeBSD box
	actually running, and the bit that troubled me most was
	partitioning; Mind you, half these problems would not have
	occurred had I actually read all the documentation beforehand,
	but then again, who does anyway? :)

	Once I had the disk properly partioned (had the slices under the
	1024th cylinder, properly sized partitions (small var, big /usr)
	and so forth), It was pretty much smooth sailing all the way.

	Post-install, I used sysinstall to setup my network interfaces
	(could never get the syntax for ifconfig right), and packages.

</flashback>

The experience related above was on a box that was dual booting.

I've since moved on, and am running freebsd on it's own box.
Partitioning is so much easier when you have a dedicated disk.

As for sysinstall, I've not used it in a long, long time. The last
time i did use it for was to setup my NIC...(damn you, ifconfig,
damn you).

While I still consider myself a newbie at large, sysinstall's usefulness
declines the more and more things you learn...(unless there's a
hidden ubermenu noone's told me about...out with it, guys!)

To get back on track, one of sysinstalls failings, while not
being a technical point, is it's image. Everytime I talk to
some llama who's installing linux, he goes "OOOOOOhhhhh look at all
the pretty colors, mmmmmmmmmmm graphical install...does FreeBSd have
that???" Of course me being the civilized being that I am, instead
of smacking them upside the head then and there, I wait till they
are finished installing, and laugh my arse off linuxconf shits
itself for the 20th time.
Haa Haa Haa.

So in conclusion, in order to make FreeBSD's initial installation
easier for the novice/unix beginner/grandma , yes, sysinstall does need
an overhaul.

In another note, I've convinced about three other people to install
FreeBSD...maybe I'll ask them what it was like, installing, when and
if they ever actually get around to doing it.